Monday, 7 December 2009

Digital School Library Leaves Book Stacks Behind

This was a pretty interesting and controversial article to consider, and most of the responses seemed to narrow and inadequate to fully express all the different factors of this subject.
I believe that the transition to digital libraries is a good thing, for many reasons. First of, the value of books has greatly decreased since the introduction of the typewriter. People purchase and dispose of unnecessary numbers of books, because they can. The widespread introduction of e-readers would mean that the value of books would increase, since they would be harder to find, and this would require less being published, yet you would still be able to pick them up at your local library. This would also be a step in reducing humanities impact on the environment, and I believe that in general that would be beneficial. People can work with limited amounts of printed material, using them in tandem with unlimited amounts of e-material.
I believe it will still be a while before e-readers will be fully integrated with out lifestyle. While it is easier to upload it than publishing it, copyrights and other hinderences are common, but i believe the economical benefits of this new technology will convince large companies to utilize this new technology. New technology, especially eink makes this a reality, instead of a conventional display, it consists of tiny black and whits particles hald in capsules that are rearranged to produce the desired image.
The social benefits of books were mentioned, eg striking up conversations with someone about a book, but I believe that in modern society, students are more likely to start a conversation about their brand of laptop rather than the books they are reading. Many people, especially students, are become more familiar with computers than books, and e-readers present an easier and more efficient method of researching than books, with familiar functions like in text searchers, and i believe this is more relateable and easier for the computer generation to handle. I support the comment that said that e-readers may be viewed as the new Model T ford in a few years, a revolutionary item that changed the way people did tasks.
I believe that once e-reader technology becomes widely popular and copyright gaps are bridged, it will easily be integrated as a part of our society, since it reflects the faster, high tech, impatient culture that we hold today.

library

1 comment:

  1. a great response, Isaac!

    Mrs. B

    Hey - at least I'm smiling, right?

    ReplyDelete